ASTA Management Academy 2018
March 5-9, 2018
The ASTA Management Academy focuses on the practical application of general management concepts that are critical to the long-term success of seed firms. The core management courses form the foundation of the academy and are designed to broaden your general management abilities. Special issue seminars are scheduled throughout the program to allow you an in-depth look at current issues that are critical to the seed industry.
You will benefit from the expert contributions of faculty members from the Department of Agricultural Economics, as well as recognized industry authorities. Case problems and group activities create ample opportunity for intensive interaction and discussion with faculty, speakers and other seed industry managers.
- Discuss the changing agribusiness environment and implications for seed companies in the future.
- Explore fundamental marketing strategies, as well as methods of segmenting and targeting markets.
- Discuss the five functional areas of business with other participants and consider how a decision made in one area impacts the others.
- Evaluate strategies for creating and leveraging your organization's competitive advantage.
- Identify and apply financial management tools that examine the profitability of a company and increase understanding of how to make a positive impact.
- Understand what makes employees perform well and the characteristics of leadership that work for relationships up, down, and across the organization.
This program guides you through a structured exploration of essential management topics and skills. Key themes for the academy include:
With a firm grasp on the changing agribusiness environment, this session focuses on what it means for a seed firm to have a true market orientation. You will learn how to create and communicate points of difference by examining topics such as customer satisfaction, market disciplines and demand innovation.
This course will help you acquire new skills and tools for evaluating and managing your own and others' performance. Topics include: building productive working relationships, improving managerial communication and defining performance management strategies.
Understanding and correctly using key financial management tools is essential in addressing many day-to-day problems seed firm managers face. This course emphasizes developing core financial management competencies and utilizing them to make decisions.
Strategy formulation helps organizations determine and match its internal goals, strengths, limitations and resources with opportunities and challenges that exist in the external business environment. You will study strategic positioning and critical competitive capabilities, including speed, quality, and innovation.
Who Should Attend?
Designed for both experienced decision makers and those new to the industry, the ASTA Management Academy has graduated approximately 1,050 participants representing more than 300 firms worldwide. Participating organizations have represented all segments of the seed business including the vegetable/garden, corn/soybean, and turf grass marketplaces. ASTA associate members attending the academy have also found it beneficial to interact and learn with this diverse group of professionals. Typically, each class represents a cross-section of industries and areas and levels of responsibilities.
The center offers this program in partnership with the American Seed Trade Association (ASTA).