Purdue Food and Agribusiness Executive Summit
October 1-3, 2019
Purdue University and Wells Fargo Food and Agribusiness are committed to bringing the right issues and the right senior leaders to the table for critical industry discussions at the Purdue Food and Agribusiness Executive Summit.
The 2019 summit theme revolves around DISRUPTION. Whether it’s input supply, food processing or something in between, the changes in what’s demanded by the market are fast-paced. Rapid-fire changes in technology, consumer demands, and new target demographics require long-term and strategic thinking.
New competitors enter the marketplace every day. Rather than focusing solely on competitors, it’s important for organizations to examine how to realign with customer needs. It’s also critical to think about potential market disruptions that could be coming down the pike and, when disruptions do occur, ways to take advantage. Making the most of industry disruption is about focusing on the right things and solving the right problems.
Why the Summit?
Change and uncertainty are continuous challenges for the senior leader – wherever their responsibilities lie within the value chain. Participants will explore the challenges facing our food and agribusiness industry and examine the options for a strategic response. The engagement with industry and academic thought leaders, allows attendees to brainstorm new strategies and leave invigorated to take action. Attendees will experience the cross-pollination of ideas across industry segments as well as an unprecedented opportunity to build personal and professional relationships.
As senior industry leaders think about future challenges and opportunities for their organizations, our accomplished faculty bring their research and expertise to facilitate the discussions.
- Guarding against complacency
- Engaging in ‘Tall Thinking’ about what is happening outside of our typical radar
- Identifying the normal problems – what are customer jobs to be done?
- Focusing on the right things and solving the right problems
Resource: Disruption in the Agribusiness Marketplace audio blog, Dr. Allan Gray and Dr. Mike Boehlje
Resource: Disruption & Chaos Blog, Dr. Mike Boehlje
Resource: Biggest Industries Ripe for Disruption
- Refrain from Ignoring disruptions that lead to obsolescence
- Identifying the right business conditions where innovations can thrive
- Identifying mechanisms for organizing and delivering innovation
- Shifting focus to people, process and culture; not just operations and efficiency
Resource: Essentials for Innovation Success, Dr. Allan Gray
- Turning complex strategy into plans for execution
- Pulling toward the future
- Striking the balance between vague, complex strategy statements and micromanagement
- Addressing critical vulnerabilities
- Aligning the team
Resource: Strategy to Results, Dr. Michael Gunderson
- Recognizing serious threats to the supply chain and/or business model
- Formulating a proactive risk management strategy
- Investing in an infrastructure that is crises resistant
- Implementing a resource configuration plan
Resource: The Role of Resilience when Responding to Disruptions, Dr. Brady Brewer
The Purdue Food and Agribusiness Executive Management Summit is managed and led by Purdue University’s Center for Food and Agricultural Business. Wells Fargo Food and Agribusiness has been our partner and collaborator since the program was launched in 2008. A Steering Committee of industry leaders provides critical input and guidance.